22 August 2008

Cetacean Sanctuary Research, 4-10 August


My first week out of 3 on board has been fantastic! I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but found it easy enough to settle into the daily routine. One of the many highlights of the week was definitely seeing sperm whales on three separate days, they are such fascinating creatures. It was also wonderful to see lots of striped dolphins, especially when they raced alongside our bow! I really appreciated the hard work that the researchers put into the lectures, which I found very interesting and a good follow-up to the days events. I enjoyed being able to take part in collecting the data and listening to the hydrophone. I have also learnt a few words of Italian and hope to learn some more in the next two weeks! Although most of the people on board were Italian on this particular trip, their effort to translate has been brilliant and I am very thankful! I have great respect and admiration for the overall dedication and enthusiasm of the team, which made the trip such an amazing experience. Thank you so much!

Clare, England

---

During my two weeks with Tethys, I have been amazed at the amount of passion and enthusiasm of the team. It is so refreshing to see people who really believe in their work and want to make a difference in the world. I had the pleasure of sighting many animals including striped and Risso's dolphins as well as fin and sperm whales (what a lucky two weeks I had!), which all were fantastic to watch in their natural environments. Life on board was a lot of fun too. Everyone has been so friendly and welcoming, I wish you all the best of luck in the future with your research and thanks once again for everything!

Marta, England

No comments: